Monday, December 14, 2015

Another Christmas Card!

I keep on trying this Christmas card making phenom and am finally getting into it a bit. After watching countless videos (mostly Pamellia)  and reading different tutorials, I had a go at making a layered card with lots of textures. Enjoy!
I started by watering down DecoArt Metallic gold and silver acrylic paint. Then I swiped some glossy paper through it and slowly heat dried it. It started to look like hills! Yippee! 
I then took a stencil and applied DecoArt Titanium white acrylic paint through a stencil to create a snow texture. My rolling hill is a piece of scrap paper that has numerous layers of paints on it. I finished the hill with DecoArt texture paste stippled with my palette knife. When it was dry I added some DecoArt Snow-Tex randomly and some glitter. 
I layered my tree dies behind the hill. For the gold trees I added some DecoArt Snow Tex to create some depth and interest to the tree line. While it was still wet I sprinkled on DecoArt Crystal sprinkle on glitter. The white trees were painted with a thin layer of DecoArt Liquid Glass and the crystal glitter was sprinkled onto that. When it was dry I added some Snow Tex just like I did for the gold trees and the same glitter. 
The base behind the tree layer is painted with DecoArt Metallic Gold paint. I only went around the edge that would show though. 

The base of the card is embossed and hand painted with the gold metallic paint as well. 
I added a seam binding bow that was hand painted with watered down gold metallic paint. HINT-when using paint to color a seam binding bow, know ahead of time that the bow will be kind of stiff unless you use a fabric medium. The metal tidbits were attached with a thin metal wire that is wrapped around the back of the bow. 
This card will be shared with the following challenges: 










21 comments:

  1. Oh my, Niki, this is a layered heaven, that's what it is! Marvelous design with such an amazing background! Loving that frosty look and your great use of gold which makes your awesome card so festive and special! Bravo, my friend! You are so talented!
    Huge hugs to you! Branka xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow slap my thigh and call me Betty! This is incredible Doc!! You have really done an amazing job with the layering, your treeline looks so dimensional! Loving all the glittery snow of course, you can never have too much of that!! The metallics are so elegant and your big loopy bow adds a touch of shabby!! You are so sweet for the mention and the link, I'm just tickled that you found inspiration in my videos...that's what it's all about!! Thanks for putting such a huge smile on my face today, I needed that! hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Forgot to say Thank you so much for joining us at Try It On Tuesday for our 'Snowflakes' challenge and at Frilly and Funkie for our 'Tis the Season' challenge! Hugs, Pamellia DT :)

      Delete
  3. This is so elegant and beautiful, what a winter wonderland! Hugs, Autumn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, Punkin! Who's the new card-touting kid in town???! You are! This is AMAZEBALLS! on fire! Love the trees...I bet that's what it looks like in your home town (said with a hint of jealousy!) Now YOU are the inspiration, my dear! Well done and a huge round of appreciative applause! Big hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Niki, you have completely outdone yourself. I see the hills to. Glorious snow capped mountains. How beautiful everything looks there. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A beautiful card, with a wonderful snowy winter scene. Thank you for joining us at TioT's this time.
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my, this is absolutely stunning Niki, I love how you created the dimensional trees, they look fantastic. Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous!! Hugs, Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. A fabulous card Niki love the wonderful textures in your background. It's a beautiful scene

    Avril xx
    p.s. Thanks for sharing with us at TioT

    ReplyDelete
  9. Holy mackerel, girl! You've nailed these trees for sure!!! Wow! All of your dimension, including how you made the hills - amazing! Absolutely stunning, Niki. xxx Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  10. FAB-U-LOUS. I love all the texture and your tree lines look wonderful in layers and covered in snow. Love the glittery holly border at the bottom. Thanks for joining us at Frilly and Funkie.
    Hugs!
    Cec

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! This really is the most fantastic snowy card! So pleased you joined us at Try It On Tuesday! Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh what a beautiful card - love it! Gill xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your gorgeous treelines - the snowy effect is fabulous!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Absolutely amazing!! Love it all from the background to the snowy trees!! Thank you for playing with us at the Mixed Media Monthly Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wonderful, sparkly card, a real winter paradise. Thanks for joining us again at TIOT, have a nice weekend, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a fabulous Christmas card, I love your background! Thank you so much for joining in with our challenge at Country View Crafts, and have a very merry Christmas. Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my goodness! Seeing this card in the sunlight truly reveals it's textured and realistic beauty! Love it! Thanks for joining us at Frilly and Funkie. Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Loving the pretty scene and those bushy, snowy trees are just super cool, especially with the glittering, glistening effect you'v given them xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Gorgeous wintery card! Thanks so much for playing at the Mixed Media Monthly Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  20. how beautiful is this?!! love love LOVE the silver and gold forest you layered in the background. Thank you so much for playing with the Mixed Media Monthly Challenge! Happy New Year!

    -Rachel
    rwkrafts.com

    ReplyDelete